Kerala is one of the top producers of fish and coconut in India. Naturally fish and coconut play a major role in Malayalee’s food culture. Despite wide differences in cuisines of different parts of Kerala, one feature stands symbolic of Kerala cuisine fish or ‘meen’ curry. Kerala fish curry or meen curry can be prepared in many ways. Fish cooked in coconut paste will make a meal a real treat. Here is a recipe of it.
1/2kg fish (I used Tuna or Choora Fish)
1/2cup grated coconut
3 green chillies
1big piece of tamarind
1/4tbs chilli powder
2 tbsp coriander powder
1/4 tbsp turmeric powder
1/4tbsp fenugreek powder
2 tbsp Coconut oil
Salt to taste
- Clean the fish and keep aside.
- Dissolve tamarind in a bowl of water.
- Slice the tomato, green chillies and drumsticks.
- In a mixer jar, take ½ grated coconut, shallots, chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, fenugreek powder and grind it into fine paste by adding ½ cup of water.
- In a meenchatti (Earthen ware), add finely grinded paste along with tamarind dissolved water and add salt as needed.
- Then add fish, tomato, green chillies, drumstick and curry leaves to the gravy. Close the meenchatti (Earthen ware) and boil it in a medium flame.
- After the curry get boiled add coconut oil and curry leaves. Switch off the stove.
- Tasty Fish Curry is ready to serve.
You can have along with rice, dosa, appam and idly…Happy Fooding.. Share your comments…